When you have a sedentary job, it’s important to add some exercises into your daily routine to counteract the negative effects of sitting all-day long. Here are some of the best exercises for people who sit all-day at work-they are easy to do and can be squeezed into even the busiest schedule!
1. Hamstring stretches – stretching your hamstrings is important since they tend to tighten up from all the sitting. To do this exercise, simply stand up and touch your toes, holding the stretch for 20-30 seconds.
2. Glute Bridges – This exercise helps to strengthen your glutes and combat the “sitting disease.” To do a glute bridge, lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Slowly lift your hips off the ground, holding for 2-3 seconds at the top of the movement. Lower your hips back to the starting position and repeat 10-15 times.
3. Chest openers – Sitting all-day can cause your shoulders and chest to round forward, so it’s important to do some exercises that open up your chest. A great exercise to do is the doorway stretch-stand in a doorway and place your forearms on either side of the door frame. Step forward until you feel a gentle stretch in your chest. Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat 2-3 times.
4. Neck releases – If you spend your day looking at a computer screen, it’s common to develop tightness in your neck and shoulders. To release this tension, do some simple neck stretches. Start by sitting up tall and placing your right hand on your left shoulder. Gently pull your left ear toward your right shoulder until you feel a stretch. Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
5. Walking – Walking is one of the best exercises for people who sit all-day since it gets your body moving and helps to improve your circulation. If possible, try to take a brisk walk outdoors for 20-30 minutes each day. If you can’t get outside, walk around your office or building for a few minutes every hour. By adding just a few of these exercises into your daily routine, you can help to offset the negative effects of sitting all-day and improve your overall health!